2018 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring FWD
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by Mazda
The Mazda CX-3 is offering drivers a wonderful subcompact crossover SUV for an affordable low price with several standard features for a lower price than many of its competitors.
The Mazda CX-3 is a subcompact SUV manufactured in Japan. It is based on the same platform as the Mazda2. It was revealed to the public in 2014, and came as a production vehicle of the 2016 model year. By 2018, the Mazda CX-3 includes several updates that improve some of its best features.
The Mazda CX-3 is available in three trim levels:
Sport, Touring and Grand Touring.
Mazda designers have improved and updated the cabin of the CX-3. The 2018 modes comes with updated suspension bushings, new front lower control levers, recalibrated shock absorbers and new engine mounts designed to use in the CX-3, that are already leading in class chassis dynamics. Improved door seals and sound-absorbing mats.
The six-speed automatic transmission matches very well this two-liter engine.
According to Mazda’s design director Derek Jenkins, the CX-3 developed the Kodo design language, what means smooth, soft, volumetric forms with expressive gaze.
Prices & Versions
Mazda has always being able to create the perfect mix between price and value. The CX-3 continues the brand strategy to sell beautiful cars with a lot of standard features but at a low price. the CX-3 Grand Touring costs only $25K. If you want to pay less, the CX-3 Sport starts at only 20K.
|CX-3 Sport FWD||Starting at $20,110|
|CX-3 Touring FWD||Starting at $22,195|
|CX-3 Grand Touring FWD||Starting at $25,165|
2018 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring FWD
SKYACTIV-Drive 6-Speed automatic transmission with manual-shift and Sport mode
2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder with VVT
146 hp @ 6,000 rpm
146 lb-ft @ 2,800 rpm
Fuel Economy MPG
Combined Estimated MPG
29 city / 34 Hwy
The CX-3 is a very attractive crossover from any angle you look.
The 2018 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring is bold, dynamic and full of stylish details.
The look of the CX-3 is enhanced by a long hood with a smooth expressive line flowing to the front wings and running along the sidewall. The huge wheel arches draw attention to the chic 18-inch wheels of the Grand Touring CX-3, and16-inch wheels offered for less expensive trim levels. The glazing of the cabin is minimized, but this did not affect the visibility, it is still at a high level. Such details as LEDs in the head and rear optics give the car charm and aggressiveness.
Exterior Features Included in the CX-3
- Roof-mounted “shark fin” antenna
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- LED headlights with auto leveling
- Auto On/Off headlights
- Adaptive Front-lighting System
- LED fog lights
- LED Combination taillights
- Body-colored power side mirrors with integrated turn signals
- Heated side mirrors
- Body-color door handles
- Silver side body garnish
- Silver front grille garnish
- Rear roofline spoiler
- Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers
- Intermittent rear wiper/washer
Wheels & Tires
- Wheel size (in) 18 x 7.0 aluminum alloy
- Wheel size and type P215/50 R18
- Temporary spare tire T125/90 16
- Wheelbase (in) 101.2
- Track, front (in) 60.0
- Track, rear (in) 59.9
- Length, without license plate holder (in) 168.3
- Width (in) 69.6
- Height (in) 60.9
- Minimum Ground Clearance, Laden (in) 6.2
Interior of the CX-3
The CX-3 has neat and ergonomic interior with a nice finish. The GT Premium package on the top of the CX-3, available only for the Grand Touring FWD, includes a cruise control system, a smart Brake for highway speeds, a high beam control and several new features that include a 6-position driver’s seat, position memory for the driver’s seat, heated steering wheel and more.
Comfort & Convenience
- Automatic climate control with pollen filter
- Power windows with driver’s one-touch down/up feature
- Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade
- Power door locks with 2-stage unlocking
- Push button start
- Cruise control with steering wheel mounted controls
- Front and rear overhead lights
- Rear heater ducts
- Rear window defogger with timer
- Remote fuel door release
- Manual day/night rearview mirror
- Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry System
- Steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters
- Tilt and telescopic steering column
- Dual covered visor vanity mirrors
- 12-volt power outlet
- Glove compartment
- Overhead console with sunglass holder
- Front cupholders
- Front and rear door bottle holders/storage
- Front passenger seatback pocket
- Cargo area light
- Tonneau cover
Seating & Trim
- 60/40 split fold-down rear seats
- Rear seat headrests
- Lux Suede® door trim with red arm rests
- Red center console knee pads
- Heated front seats (3 levels)
- 6-way manual driver’s seat
- Leather-trimmed sport seats with Lux Suede® inserts
- Leather-wrapped shift knob
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Leather-wrapped parking brake handle
- Carpet floor mats
Audio & Infotainment
- 7″ full-color touch screen display
- Bluetooth19 hands free phone & audio capability
- Bose 7-speaker audio system
- HD Radio
- Mazda Connect Infotainment System3
– Infotainment system voice command
– Multifunction Commander Control
– Radio Broadcast Data System program information
– Aha™ internet radio integration
– Pandora internet radio integration
– Stitcher internet radio integration
– SMS text message audio delivery and reply
– E911 automatic emergency notification
- Mazda Navigation System
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 4-month trial subscription9
- Auxiliary-audio input jack
- USB audio input
- Steering-wheel-mounted audio, cruise and phone controls
- Active Driving Display
- Full instrumentation including, tachometer, and fuel level gauge
- Black gauges with white lettering and silver surround
- Ambient temperature & digital clock
- Trip computer
Interior Dimensions & Capacities
- Headroom, front/rear (in) 37.6 / 37.2
- Shoulder room, front/rear (in) 53.5 / 50.4
- Hip room, front/rear (in) 52.3 / 49.0
- Legroom, front/rear (in) 41.7 / 35.0
- Cargo volume – behind rear seats (cu ft) 10.1
- Cargo volume – 2nd-row seats folded (cu ft) 42.3
The Mazda CX-3 is an attractive Japanese subcompact SUV priced low starting at 20K and including several standard features that are usually optional in other cards. The 2018 CX-3 received many updates that improve some of its best features. The CX-3 is available in three trim levels: Sport, Touring and Grand Touring.
Among its competitors we can find the Honda HR-V, Nissan JUKE, Ford Escape, the FIAT 500X, Kia Soul, Jeep Renegade, Toyota C-HR, Nissan Rogue Sport and the Chevrolet Trax.
The Honda HR-V wins with more interior space. The Kia Soul wins with more features for less money. But the CX-3 wins with sporty handling and beautiful luxury interior. The CX-3 also offers the option of all-wheel drive, something that some of its competitors like the Kia Soul do not include.
Among many interesting features, low-speed automatic emergency braking is standard for all 2018 CX-3s. If you add the additional Preferred Equipment package this also includes automatic emergency braking for high speeds, lane assistance with adaptive cruise control, blind spot warning and a warning about cross traffic from the rear are standard for the Grand Touring trim.
The exterior and interior look of the CX-3 is very beautiful and stylish, especially considering its low price. It is a great SUV offering too much style and value.