M Performance 5 series – The First BMW M550i xDrive
2018 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan
Written by Marco Carvajal
Photographs by BMW
As I drive to Port Canaveral in Florida, I enjoy this stylish, attractive and powerful sedan. The 2018 BMW M550i xDrive is the top of the line performance vehicle in the 2018 BMW 5 Series. The M550i sedan is the fastest 5 Series, the V8 TwinPower Turbo 4.4 liter 8-cylinder engine helps the M550i xDrive to accelerate from 0-60 mph in less than 4 seconds. It can deliver 456 horsepower.
2018 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan
xDrive all-wheel-drive system
8-speed steptronic Sport Automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters
4.4 liter BMW M Performance TwinPower Turbo V-8
456 @ 5500-6000
Fuel Economy MPG
Combined Estimated MPG
16 City / 25 Hwy
BMW M Performance Automobiles are built for maximum performance, built for customers who are seeking very sporty driving characteristics without sacrificing everyday practicality.
The next-generation BMW M5, the M Performance 5 series is the First BMW M550i xDrive. Especially made for those demanding drivers who need power, efficiency and style merged into one impressive German machine.
The 2018 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan, is an all-wheel drive business sedan, powered by an M Performance TwinPower Turbo 4.4-liter V8 engine. Just in case you would need to fly…well almost, it can reproduce the power of 456 horses at 5,500 rpm and 480 torque. Most fast sedans produce half of the power of this M550, also most sedans are smaller than this 5 series.
Eight-speed automatic transmission is standard on the BMW M550i xDrive. A specially tuned Steptronic transmission has been configured especially for the powerful V8 engine of the 2018 BMW M550i xDrive, created for perfect synchronization and faster engagement. This 8-speed transmission can also be manually controlled, the drive can use the shift paddles on the steering wheel or use the shifter in the center console to shift between the wide range of 8 speeds.
The M550i sedan is the fastest 5 Series, the V8 TwinPower Turbo 4.4 liter 8-cylinder engine helps the M550i xDrive to accelerate from 0-60 mph in less than 4 seconds. It can deliver 456 horsepower.
This new 550 comes with an adaptive M Sport sports suspension, which reduced the ground clearance by 10 millimeters, with the choice of light alloy wheels size 19 or 20 inches painted with a cool Cerium Grey metallic matte finish.
Prices & Versions
The M550i is now the top of the line for the 5 series, it is not a cheap car. All the power and luxury style you can get comes with a price above 70K.
|2018 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan||Starting at $72,100|
The 2018 BMW M550i xDrive is the most dynamic and aggressive sedan of the 5-series. It is the most stylish and attractive new member of the 5-Series. The M aerodynamic style, includes an M rear spoiler on the trunk lid. Sporty lines and optimization of the airflow for faster and better performance. Black trapezium-shaped exhaust nozzles, adaptive LED headlights and headlights. The beautiful exterior includes mirror caps, kidney grille frame, the special M Performance front air intake. Two Air Breathers on the front fenders, exclusively feature Cerium Grey metallic finish, while the high-gloss Shadow Line trim around the windows gives added impact. For a better sporty feel, the M sports exhaust system exclusive tailpipes in black chrome that produce an exciting BMW M roar sound.
The exterior of the first ever BMW M550i xDrive is designed with performance M aerodynamics, what else can you expect for the new top model of the 5-series
Some of the Exterior Features Include:
- Double Spoke Cerium Gray light alloy wheels (Style 664M), 19 x 8.0 front, 19 x 9.0 rear; and 245/40 front, 275/35 rear run-flat performance tire
- Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights
- Automatic high beams
- Power-folding, heated side mirrors
- Aerodynamic kit
- Choice of non-metallic or Metallic paints
- Cerium Gray accent finishers (mirror caps, kidney grille, front air intakes)
- Black chrome exhaust tips
- Shadowline exterior trim
- Illuminated door-sill finishers with M550i designation
- Rear spoiler
The 2018 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan interior is very elegant and trendy, there is enough space or a confortable long drive for the driver and passengers. Several details to remind you that you are driving an M Performance car, like Illuminated inscriptions “M550i”, welcoming to the interior. High-quality finishing materials such as Nappa leather and Dakota leather, decorative inserts with precious wood or aluminum among many details to enhance your driving experience. M sports seats, a sports M steering wheel with three spokes, an advanced smart instrument panel with the inscription “M550i”, aluminum pedals and carpets are decorated with the theme letter M.
“We develop the BMW M Performance Automobiles for customers who are seeking very sporty driving characteristics yet do not wish to sacrifice any of their BMW’s everyday practicality” explains Frank van Meel, CEO of BMW M GmbH.
Some of the Interior Features:
- 20-way power Multi-contour front seats includes standard 16-way power sport seat functions, plus additional power adjustment functions for shoulder support and thigh support, plus 2-way manual lateral adjustment for Comfort headrest, and memory system also for front passenger seat.
- 40/20/40 split fold-down through-load rear seats
- Dakota Leather upholstery
- Aluminum Rhombicle Interior Trim
- Anthracite headliner
- SensaTec dashboard
Smart Instrumentation & Controls
Available equipment for the 2018 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan is what you can expect from a performance car. The dashboard has a touch screen with more than 12 inches diagonal, powered with gesture and voice control functions, a high-precision navigation system, the ability to interact with a smartphone, and high-quality sound reproduction including the following features:
- 3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function M sport steering wheel with controls for audio system, cruise control, and Bluetooth® wireless communication for hands-free mobile phone
- Enhanced USB and Bluetooth® including Mobile Office features; Message Dictation available with optional 3rd-party subscription after 60-day free trial; Dragon Drive! Messaging service provided by Nuance®
- 8.8 Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster
- Dynamic Cruise Control
- iDrive 6.0 system with touchscreen, touchpad Controller and 7 programmable memory buttons
- BMW Navigation system with 10.2″ high-resolution touchscreen; 3-D maps; 200 GB hard drive with 20 GB storage for audio files;
- Voice command system with Natural Language Understanding; and Over-the-Air (OTA) updates for map data up to 4 times annually
- Expanded Check Control vehicle monitor system
- ConnectedDrive Services
- BMW TeleService
- Advanced Real Time Traffic Information
- Tire Pressure Monitor
- Rear-window defroster
- Outside-temperature display
- Rear-view Camera
Safety & Security Features
- Adaptive Brakelights
- Programmable LED Daytime Running Lights
- Front and rear Head Protection System (HPS)
- Driver’s and passenger’s front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with advanced technology: dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment; and front-passenger-seat sensors designed to prevent unnecessary airbag deployment
- 3-point safety belts with force limiters and head restraints at all seating positions
- Seat-mounted front side-impact airbags
- Acoustic safety-belt warning
- Front safety belts with automatic pretensioners
- LATCH attachments for child-restraint safety installation
- Automatic-locking retractors (ALR) on all passenger-seat safety belts (for installation of child-restraint seats)
- Impact sensor that activates Battery Safety Terminal disconnect of alternator, fuel pump and starter from battery; automatically unlocks doors, and turns on hazard and interior lights
- Central locking system on driver and front passenger doors
- Anti-theft alarm system
- BMW Assist eCall™ includes Emergency Request (SOS button) and Enhanced Automatic Collision Notification
- BMW Remote Services includes Stolen Vehicle Recovery, Remote Door Unlock and BMW Connected app
- BMW’s Active Protection System detects imminent accidents, then prepares by automatically pretensioning safety belts, closing windows and moonroof, and activating post-crash braking; includes Fatigue and Focus Alert feature
The 2018 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan, with a price starting at $72,100, is a wonderful car for drivers who like to drive a stylish, efficient and beautiful car merged with a powerful engine with maximum performance. This sedan is top of the line in the current BMW 5 Series lineup, it is also the latest addition to the BMW M Performance model family of vehicles that combine everyday usability with the power and driving dynamics. For those who want the best of the best, this M performance BMW gives you all the features and latest technology available on a 5 series.
One more reason to like it, the BMW M550i xDrive Sedan is the first M Performance model to be powered by a specifically modified M Performance TwinPower Turbo 4.4 liter 8-cylinder engine. This V8 is equipped with two twin-scroll turbochargers and features a High Precision Injection system producing an output of 456 HP at 5,500 rpm and peak torque of 480 lb-ft from just 1,800 rpm. The fast BMW M550i xDrive Sedan goes from 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and then on to an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph. BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive with rear-wheel bias.
If you like to drive the fastest and more powerful 5 Series then the 2018 BMW M550i xDrive might be your next driving partner.